Pre-Tax Savings Program
Save up to 40% on eligible commuter expenses. Commuter benefits help UCSF employees pay for their commute to and from work using pretax dollars, which saves money on their taxes each year. Use commuter benefits for transit, rideshares and qualified paid parking.
To learn more, view the Commuter Benefit Brochure.
UCSF Transportation Services contracts with Edenred Commuter Benefit Solutions (ECBS), a commuter benefit management company, to administer the pre-tax program through their Commuter Check Direct (CCD) website.
Getting Started: Enroll Now
How it Works
Our online platform makes ordering your commuter benefits products a breeze. Follow the steps below to get started:
How To Enroll
1. Head to https://www.commutercheckdirect.com and click on ‘Sign Up Now’.
2. Enter the UCSF Company ID: 1550
3. Enter your First Name, Last Name and Home Zip Code.
4. Confirm your username, create a password and click ‘Next’.
5. You are now registered! You will be mailed a debit Master Card that allows you to make transit- and parking-related purchases at commuter terminals.
6. To place your first order, click on ‘Place An Order’. Here, choose the amount you want deducted each month pre-tax from your pay for your anticipated parking and/or transit expenses.
Instructions to Place an Order
Please note: You do NOT need to enroll in this program if you currently have UCSF permit parking or vanpool expenses that are paid through UCSF payroll deductions on a pre-tax basis.
Ways to Use your Pre-Tax Benefit Dollars
The commuter benefits program allows eligible UCSF employees to set aside payroll earnings on a pre-tax basis up to the limit set by the IRS for commuter expenses. After you sign up for the program, UCSF Payroll deducts the amount you specify from your pay before taxes are withheld. This can save you money by reducing your taxable income. How much you save will depend on the amount of the deductions and your tax bracket.
Beginning 2019, you can elect to have up to $265 per month deducted from your UCSF paycheck on a pre-tax basis to be used for public transportation, including vanpool, and up to an additional $265 per month for qualified parking expenses. (In other words, you can contribute up to $530 per month of tax-free money to spend on your daily commute!) Your pre-tax payroll deductions are placed on a debit MasterCard that allows you to make transit- and parking-related purchases at commuter terminals where debit MasterCard is accepted. Click the FAQ link below for certain exclusions.
As you can see, commuter benefits can add up to some serious tax savings. Up to a whopping 40%! Use the Commuter Benefits Tax Savings Calculator to see how much you could be saving each month using pre-tax dollars to spend on your everyday commuter expenses.
See ECBS Ordering Timeline for important cut-off dates.
Should you have additional questions regarding this program, please refer to https://www.commutercheckdirect.com or call ECBS customer service at 888-235-9223.
What are the different types of commuting expenses covered?
• Bus, ferry, train, trolley tickets and passes
• Parking expenses (meters, garages and lots)
• Vanpool fees
• Rideshare (including Lyft Shared)
Elect to have up to $265 per month deducted from your UCSF paycheck on a pre-tax basis. Your pre-tax payroll deductions are placed on a debit MasterCard that allows you to make transit- and parking-related purchases at commuter terminals where debit MasterCard is accepted.
How To Place an Order & Start Using Your Benefits
1. Access your account at: https://www.commutercheckdirect.com
2. “Place an order,” choose the amount you want deducted each month pre-tax from your pay for your anticipated parking and/or transit expenses.
3. The prepaid card can be used to purchase transit tickets or passes from participating transit operators or to pay your parking vendor. You can also load your Clipper card online or at one of our UCSF Transportation sales offices at Mission Bay and Parnassus.
Instructions to Place an Order
Please note: Do not contact UCSF Transportation Services regarding new enrollments, cancellations or changes to elections as you must go online or call ECBS to do so.
If after reading the attached information you still have questions, please feel free to call UCSF Transportation Services at 415-476-1511. Thank you.
Guidelines, Instructions & Frequently Asked Questions
What Are Commuter Benefits? (video)
Getting Started/Why Should I Enroll?
ECBS Ordering Timeline
Commuter Benefits Tax Savings Calculator
Controller’s Office Payroll Processing Schedule
Biweekly Benefits Deduction Schedule