Pre-Tax Commuter Benefits
Commuter benefits can add up to some serious tax savings. Commuter benefits allow UCSF employees to set aside tax-free money to pay for eligible commuting expenses like public transit, rideshare, and parking.
Check out the Commuter Benefit Resource Guide to learn more.
How Much Could You Save? Use the calculator to find out.
UCSF Transportation Services contracts with Edenred Commuter Benefit Solutions (ECBS), a commuter benefit management company, to administer the pre-tax program through their Commuter Check Direct (CCD) website.
New enrollment or change requests must be received by Edenred by the 23rd of the month, about 5 weeks prior to the date your change will be made effective. For example, requests received by September 23, will be effective for your November 1st elections.
For Current Members: How to Manage your account
Getting Started: Enroll Now
How to manage your account
If you’re working from home or your commute plans have changed, you can log into your account and make changes at any time, including opting-out of an upcoming month, or changing the dollar amount of the money you set aside each month for commute expenses.
How to opt-out of an upcoming month
Login to your commuter benefits account: www.login.commuterbenefits.com
Locate your pending order on the dashboard
Under Options click “Edit Order”
Under the question “Are there any months you do not need this order?”, select the month(s) you need to opt-out of. Any month you select will be skipped over and not processed.
How to edit your monthly contribution
Login to you commuter benefits account: www.login.commuterbenefits.com
Locate your pending July order on the dashboard
Under Options click “Edit Order”
Enter a new dollar amount
Closing your account is not recommended if your plans are temporary or uncertain. Doing so will require a 5-6-week re-enrollment process to restart your account.
If you’re currently working from home, rest assured you will be able to use your funds at a later date. Any unused funds will roll over each month.
Ways to Use your Pre-Tax Benefit Dollars
Our online platform makes ordering your commuter benefits products a breeze. Follow the steps below to get started.
How To Enroll
1. Head to https://www.commutercheckdirect.com and click on ‘Sign Up Now’.
2. Enter the UCSF Company ID: 1550
3. Enter your First and Last Name
4. Enter the default zip code 99999
5. Confirm your username, create a password, and click ‘Next’.
6. You are now registered! You will be mailed a debit Master Card that allows you to make transit- and parking-related purchases at commuter terminals.
7. Once you are logged into your commuter benefits account, click on ‘Place an Order’ to choose the amount you want to be deducted each month pre-tax from your pay for your anticipated parking and/or transit expenses. For more information, view instructions on how to place an order.
Note for new employees: If you are a new UCSF employee, at registration, you may see a message stating that the system does not recognize the employee information. It may take 3-6 weeks for Edenred Commuter Benefits to recognize you as eligible to register, please try again, 3-8 weeks after your hire date. Thank you for your patience.
What are the different types of commuting expenses covered?
• Bus, ferry, train, trolley tickets, and passes
• Parking expenses (meters, garages and lots)
• Vanpool fees
• Rideshare (including Lyft Shared)
Elect to have up to $270 per month deducted from your UCSF paycheck on a pre-tax basis. Your pre-tax payroll deductions are placed on a debit MasterCard that allows you to make transit- and parking-related purchases at commuter terminals where debit MasterCard is accepted.
How To Place an Order & Start Using Your Benefits
1. Access your account at: commutercheckdirect.com
2. “Place an order,” choose the amount you want to be deducted each month pre-tax from your pay for your anticipated parking and/or transit expenses.
3. The prepaid card can be used to purchase transit tickets or passes from participating transit operators or to pay your parking vendor. You can also load your Clipper card online or at one of our UCSF Transportation sales offices at Mission Bay and Parnassus.
Instructions to Place an Order
Guidelines, Instructions & Frequently Asked Questions
How Commuter Benefits Work from Commuter Benefit Solutions on Vimeo.
Getting Started/Why Should I Enroll?
Commuter Benefits Tax Savings Calculator
If you have any questions, please visit commutercheckdirect.com or call customer service at 888.235.9223.