Pre-Tax Commuter Benefits
Commuter benefits can add up to some serious tax savings. Check out the Commuter Benefit Guide to learn more.
Per the IRS, you can set aside pre-tax $280 per month for transit expenses, and $280 per month for parking expenses. That’s up to $560 per month in pre-tax benefits. UCSF Transportation contracts with Edenred Commuter Benefit Solutions, a commuter benefit management company, to administer the pre-tax program through their Commuter Check Direct (CCD) website.
If your monthly parking fee is $332, you can contribute $332 per month to pay for parking with your pre-paid Mastercard from Edenred. However, only $280 of your $332 parking expense will be paid with pre-tax dollars, and the remainder will be paid after tax.
You can log into your account and make changes at any time, including changing the dollar amount of the money you set aside each month for commute expenses.
Requests to update your monthly contribution must be received by Edenred (benefit administrator) by the 23rd of the month, about 5 weeks prior to the date your change will be made effective.
Getting Started: Enroll Now
For Current Members: How to Manage your account
How To Enroll
1. Go to www.login.commuterbenefits.com and click on ‘Sign Up Now’.
2. Enter the UCSF Company ID: 1550
3. Enter your First and Last Name
4. Enter your zip code
5. Confirm your username, create a password, and click ‘Next’.
6. You are now registered! Edenred will mail you a debit Master Card that allows you to make transit- and parking-related purchases at commuter terminals.
7. Once you are logged into your commuter benefits account, click on ‘Account’ to update your mailing address. Next, click on ‘Place an Order’ to choose the amount you want to be deducted each month pre-tax from your paycheck for your anticipated transit and/or parking expenses.
A Transit Account can be used to pay for bus, ferry, train, trolley tickets, passes, vanpool fees, and rideshare (including Lyft Shared).
A Parking Account can be used to pay for parking meters, garages, and surface lots.
For more information, view instructions on how to place an order.
New employees: Please note that it may take up to 6 weeks from your hire date for Edenred to recognize you as eligible to register in the system.
Ways to Use your Pre-Tax Benefit Dollars
How to edit the dollar amount of your monthly contribution
1. Login to you commuter benefits account: www.login.commuterbenefits.com
2. Locate your pending October order on the dashboard
3. Under Options click “Edit Order”
4. Enter a new dollar amount
How to opt-out of an upcoming month
1. Login to your commuter benefits account: www.login.commuterbenefits.com
2. Locate your pending order on the dashboard
3. Under Options click “Edit Order”
4. Under the question “Are there any months you do not need this order?”, select the month(s) you need to opt-out of. Any month you select will be skipped over and not processed.
Any unused funds will roll over each month.
What are the different types of commuting expenses covered?
• Bus, ferry, train, trolley tickets, and passes
• Vanpool fees
• Rideshare (including Lyft Shared)
• Parking meters, garages, and surface lots
Your pre-tax payroll deductions are placed on a debit MasterCard that allows you to make transit- and parking-related purchases at commuter terminals where debit MasterCard is accepted.
Guidelines, Instructions & Frequently Asked Questions
How Commuter Benefits Work from Commuter Benefit Solutions on Vimeo.
Getting Started/Why Should I Enroll?
Commuter Benefits Tax Savings Calculator