Vanpool Members Eligible for Refund
If you’re not using vanpool during stay-at-home orders, you’re eligible to apply for a refund!
You are eligible for reimbursement, if you are not participate at all during this time. Unfortunately, we are not able to provide partial reimbursement for commuters who intermittently used vanpool during shelter in place.
Drivers who continued to operate the vans during this time period, can submit their reimbursement requests per the standard procedures.
Know your options
If your commute plans have changed, or your schedule is uncertain, please be aware of your membership options.
Want a worry-free, cost-effective commute? With our vanpool program, you can share your ride with fellow staff and students, save on costs, and meet new people in the UCSF community. A vanpool can be established when a minimum of 6 individuals express interest, all who live in the same general area and have similar work schedules. From these participants, volunteer drivers (a principal driver or co-drivers) and one or more alternate/backup drivers are selected. Parking permit and designated parking spaces are included as part of the program, your fees remain the same as general parking fees increase annually.
Benefits & Incentives
Vanpools are not only good for the environment; they’re also great for your peace of mind! By sharing your commute, you:
- Reduce commute costs (no cost for vanpool drivers)
- Receive preferential campus parking and the cost of the parking permit is included in the program
- Determine your participation (no long-term financial obligation)
- Reduce wear and tear on your personal vehicle
- Have access to emergency transportation services
- Get extra time to catch up on work, sleep, reading, and more
Currently, more than 20 UCSF-sponsored vanpools commute to campus from throughout the Bay Area, as illustrated on this map.
Ready to find your vanpool? Get started on the Vanpool Member Page to see details on existing vanpools including pickup and arrival times, locations, and fares. To sign-up, fill out the Vanpool Enrollment Form from the Vanpool Member page and submit it to UCSF Transportation Services. Don’t see a vanpool that’s right for you? UCSF Transportation Services is actively looking to create new vanpools from all over the Bay Area. Add yourself to the Vanpool Waitlist on the Vanpool Member page, this allows to contact you when seats become available in existing vanpool and we can create new vans based on that interest.
Vanpool Hibernation or Cancelation of Vanpool Membership
The UCSF vanpool program is a self-supporting operation funded by vanpool participants. Vanpool membership fee funds the cost of the vehicle, vehicle maintenance, fuel, and insurance; non-UCSF riders also pay vanpool program administrative costs, which are waived for UCSF employees and students.
Full-time UCSF employees (100% FTE) must pay a full-time fare regardless of the number of days they ride the vanpool.
UCSF employees with part-time appointments (50%-90%) or UCSF students on a part-time class schedule may pay a percentage of the full-time fare based on the employee’s appointment or student’s class schedule whichever is applicable. Proof of appointment status will be required. Part-time fares may not pay less than 50% of the full-time fare regardless of appointment or class schedule. Part-time status is reviewed throughout the year and members are required to submit verifying employment status, if applicable.
Fees are payable monthly, in advance, and deducted from payroll on a pre-tax basis, unless a member is ineligible for payroll deduction (e.g. students). Members who are ineligible for payroll deduction must sign-up for automatic monthly credit card payment. Payment by cash, check or credit card is not permitted, with the exception of new members who are making their first payment prior to starting payroll deduction.
Vanpool Drivers Receive Reimbursement for Driving (See FAQs here for more information)
Vanpool members who drive are eligible to receive a monthly reimbursement for the days they drive. Individuals who drive a minimum of 17 full days (both AM and PM), in any given month, receive a full month’s reimbursement of their entire month’s fees. Part-time drivers also receive a reimbursement for each day they drive at a rate of 1/20th of their full-time fare for each day of driving. In order to receive a reimbursement, drivers must report each driving occurrence (AM and PM), no later than the fifth-day of each month, for the proceeding month.
Rules & Regulations
- Hibernation service (or vanpool membership freeze) is available and maintains your vanpool membership and your seat on a van, at a reduced rate (20% of the monthly rate), for up to 3 consecutive months in a 12-month period.
- Requests for hibernation are accepted in writing only. Phone requests are not accepted.
- Requests must be received by the 15th of the month to take effect the following month.
- Cancelations must be made in writing (email is accepted) or by submitting a written cancelation form.
- Cancelations cannot be made by phone.
- Written cancelation requests are effective the last day of the month in which the written request is received. For example, cancelation requests made during the month of March are effective March 31st.
- No partial month membership refunds are processed for mid-month cancelations.
Complete the Vanpool Enrollment and Cancelation form and return it to:
Nelson Lum, Administrative Support
As a courtesy to fellow riders, Transportation asks vanpool members to adhere to the following guidelines:
- Refrain from wearing scented colognes or perfumes, and eating foods with strong, unpleasant odors
- Appropriate behavior, language, and conduct is expected and required at all times in vanpool
- There is absolutely no smoking in the vans
- All vanpool participants must comply with the Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act (HIPAA)
Each vanpool group may establish additional, reasonable internal policies for the commute (e.g. waiting time for late riders, cell phone use, seat assignments). Upon approval by Transportation, it is the sole responsibility of current members to communicate established policies to new riders.
For protocols regarding membership, maintenance, and more, download to our Vanpool Policies.
For more information, contact:
Commute with Enterprise
Vehicle Emergency: 1-800-VAN-4-WORK or 1-800-826-4967
After-Hours Roadside Assistance: 1-800-826-4967, option 4
Nelson Lum, Administrative Support
Georgina Arias, Transportation Demand Manager