Emergency Ride Home
We understand that emergencies can happen anytime, anywhere. When they happen while you’re at work, the UCSF Employee Emergency Ride Home program makes sure you’re covered.
Emergency Ride Home Program (ERH) Guidelines
Who is eligible to participate?
All UCSF Employees are eligible to participate.
When can you take an ERH?
The following circumstances are considered qualifying emergency situations in the ERH program and must occur on the date of the ERH trip:
- Your or an immediate family member suffers an illness, injury, or crisis.
- You are asked by a supervisor to work unscheduled overtime, which causes you to miss a planned ride home. Supervisor verification will be required as part of the reimbursement request.
- Your carpool or vanpool vehicle breaks down or the driver has to leave early or late.
- You have a break-in, flood, or fire at home.
- Your commute bicycle breaks down on the way to or from work and cannot be repaired at your work site.
In addition, you must have used an alternative mode on the day you take the ride for which you will seek reimbursement through the ERH program. Eligible alternative commute modes include:
- Public Transit
What is eligible for reimbursment?
Taking a ride home on one of these services, is eligible for reimbursment:
- Transportation Network Company (TNC) services such as Lyft or Uber
- One-day car rentals
- Public transportation (including BART, buses, and others)
- The maximum reimbursement per trip, regardless of mode is $50
- Reimbursement requests are limited to a maximum of four trips per fiscal year (ending June 30th)
- The ERH program will notify participants when they are nearing reimbursement limits
- Taxi and TNC rides will have the meter/ride fare reimbursed, excluding the cost of the tip
- Car rentals will not have gas fees reimbursed.
Submit a Reimbursment Request
Submissions must include a completed Emergency Ride Home Reimbursement Request Form and original receipts. Upon approval, costs will be reimbursed up to a $50.00 maximum by UCSF Transportation Services. Reimbursements must be submitted within 10 days of the emergency and are subject to review.
For more information, contact:
Nelson Lum, Administrative Support