Emergency Ride Home
We understand that emergencies can happen anytime, anywhere. When they happen while you’re at work, the UCSF Employee Emergency Ride Home program makes sure you’re covered. All UCSF employees who commute by sustainable modes are eligible to participate.
Emergency Ride Home Program (ERH) Guidelines
When can you take an ERH?
The following circumstances qualify as emergency situations and must occur on the date of the ERH trip:
- You suffer an illness, injury, or crisis
- Your immediate family member suffers an illness, injury, or crisis
- You have a break-in, flood, or fire at home
- You are asked by a supervisor to work unscheduled overtime, supervisor verification will be required, which causes you to miss a planned ride home
- Your carpool or vanpool vehicle breaks down to or from work
- Your carpool driver has to leave early or late and you are left without a ride home
- You are a vanpool driver and have to leave early or late, you will request an ERH reimbursement and the vanpool back-up driver will drive the vanpool members home that day
- Your commute bicycle breaks down on the way to or from work and cannot be repaired at your work site
In addition, you must have commuted to work using a sustainable mode on the day you take the ERH ride. Eligible modes include:
- Public Transit
What is eligible for reimbursement?
Taking a ride home using one of these services:
- Taxi, excluding the cost of the tip
- Lyft or Uber, excluding the cost of the tip
- One-day car rentals, excluding the cost of gas
- Public transportation (including BART, bus, etc.)
- The maximum reimbursement per trip is $50
- Reimbursement requests are limited to a maximum of four trips per fiscal year (ending June 30th)
Submit a ERH Reimbursement Request
Complete the ERH reimbursement request form online and email or fax the receipts. Upon approval, costs will be reimbursed via payroll up to a $50 maximum by Transportation. Reimbursements must be submitted within 10 days of the emergency and are subject to review.
Non-UCSF programs are available: