Housing Services Sustainability
UCSF Housing Services strives to integrate sustainable practices in everything that we do.
We support these initiatives by:
* Installing low flow shower heads, aerators, and toilets
* Installing smart meters in our landscaping, saving water
* Sorting compost, recycling, and trash (landfill) and using compactors (maximizing space used = less trucks needed)
* Sorting and collecting styrofoam and cardboard for recycling
* Collecting used glasses, batteries, and electronics for recycling
* Constructing all of our new buildings at LEED Silver or higher
* Installing LED exterior lighting which saves on energy
* Using non-toxic cleaning supplies
* Educating and promoting sustainable practices
* Certifying our offices as UCSF Living Green
* Having a designated Sustainable Planner that makes every effort to educate our tenants on sorting their trash, recycling, and compost. Also encouraging the use of personal cups (rather than paper, plastic), as well as using compostable cutlery and plates for events.
Read more about our sustainability projects at our Aldea San Miguel community here.
Read about Housing Services’ very own sustainability champion here.