Back-Up Care Program
UCSF has partnered with Bright Horizons® to offer high-quality back-up care to eligible UCSF Faculty and Residents and Clinical Fellows (as appointed by the Office of Graduate Medical Education).
When school is closed, a sitter cancels, or a regular caregiver is unavailable, back-up care is arranged for you, including:
• In-home well and mildly ill child care
• In-home adult and elder care
• Center-based child care, on a space-available basis.
• Get academic support for your child. The Back-Up Care Program offers virtual 1-1 tutoring for ages 5-18.
• Access up to 20 days of back-up care per academic year (July 1-June 30)
• In-home care for children, adults, and elders – $10/hour for up to 3 dependents
• Center-based child care – $30/child/day or $55/family/day
• 4 hour minimum for all care requests
• Effective May 1, 2021, back-up care days can be redeemed for virtual 1-1 school-age tutoring provided through Bright Horizons. Exchange 1 back-up care day (and a $30 co-pay) for 4 hours of tutoring, scheduled in 1-hour increments. See the Tutoring FAQs for more details.
Learn about Bright Horizons’ back-up care COVID-19 policy, including health screenings, exclusion criteria and mask/face coverings at www.brighthorizons.com/covid19.
If the Back-Up Care Program is unable to provide you with the care it typically covers, you may be offered out-of-network reimbursement of $100 per day to offset the cost of care you source on your own. Each reimbursement day counts as a back-up care day. Out-of-network care reimbursement is not offered retroactively and applies only to care provided by someone outside your household. Refer to UCSF Families’ FAQs to learn more.
Returning Participants: Important Information
You may simply reserve care as you have previously by calling 877-BH-CARES (877-242-2737), or via the Bright Horizons Back-Up Care Advantage Program sign-in web site. Co-pays apply.
1st Time Participants: Register & Reserve Care
Registration, via phone or online, is free and is required prior to scheduling care. Eligible employees can register and reserve care either online through a password protected website, phone or app. UCSF students, please follow registration instructions on the Back-Up Care for UCSF Students page.
Enter Employer Credentials to create your profile >> (Be sure to click on REGISTER at the top right of the sign in box.)
1st time participants, create your profile using the following instructions:
Employer Username: UCbackup
Employer Password: Care1
Your UCSF ID number will be required. This is a 9-digit number (starting with “02”), which can be found by logging into MyAccess and clicking on “My ID” at the top of the page. Be sure to use your name as stated on your UCSF Earnings Statement when creating your account. Registration in advance of needing care will help prevent delays in the scheduling process. You may schedule care 60 days in advance up to the day care is needed, including the day care is needed.*
For additional help getting started, see the 3 step guide.
Back-up Care Program eligibility is limited to the following:
• UCSF Faculty in the Ladder Rank, Professor in Residence and Clinical X series
• UCSF Faculty in the Adjunct and Health Sciences Clinical Professor series with appointments of 51% or more paid by UCSF
• UCSF Residents and Clinical Fellows (as appointed by the UCSF Office of Graduate Medical Education)
If you are unsure of your UCSF appointment, please contact your HR Generalist.
Eligible participants may use this benefit for a family member such as a child, step-child, spouse/partner, parent or in-law. Children through 17 years of age are eligible as are adults 18 years and over.
Quality of Care
Child care centers in the network must be accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) or meet or exceed state child care licensing requirements. All in-home care agencies in the network are credentialed and employ trained caregivers. All center and in-home care providers participate in an extensive screening and training process. See the Bright Horizons FAQs (pdf) for more details.
Hours vary depending on the type of care needed, and the service is designed to provide care when employees need to be at work. In-home care is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week during your work hours. Center based care hours vary based on the center’s operating hours. There is a 4 hour minimum for all care requests.
For program information please contact 877-BH-Cares (877-242-2737).
*For same day care, Bright Horizons will make every effort to secure care for your dependent. For same day request, contact Bright Horizons by phone and they will walk you through your options for same day care.