Change in Custodial & Waste Disposal Services FAQs
Effective on November 2, Custodial Services is making a few changes in services. We are introducing a Daytime Cleaning Shift Service Model that will allow us to meet the demand for more enhanced cleaning during the daytime hours, as well as to contain costs and accommodate custodial staff who use public transportation. These changes align with our overarching goal which is ensuring the safety and wellbeing of the UCSF Community through industry standard cleaning practices.
All changes will impact campus buildings only and those buildings with Service Level Agreements. Our efforts are in line with the Centers of Disease and Prevention (CDC) and the San Francisco Department of Public Health (SFDPH).
1) What changes are being made? As part of the Daytime Cleaning Shift Service Model, all cleaning services and disinfecting of high touch surfaces will be performed on weekdays. Our enhanced cleaning will occur three times or more daily as well as at least once per evening. Our service times for both the Mission Bay and Parnassus Heights campuses are between the hours of 5:00 a.m. and 1:30 a.m. – most of the enhanced cleaning occurs during business hours peak times, which is between 5:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
Daily servicing of waste, recycling, and compost removal will be provided to all common areas, such as kitchens, restrooms, conference rooms, and corridors only. All other areas, such as personal offices, cubicles, desks, and huddle rooms, will not be serviced as part of the Centralized Waste Disposal Program.
2) When did this change occur? The new guideline is effective on Monday, November 2, 2020.
3) Why are you changing your services? These changes in services reflect our priority to the overall safety and wellbeing of the UCSF community and meets the demand for more enhanced cleaning during the daytime hours. Our updated cleaning guidelines are in line with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the San Francisco Department of Public Health (SFDPH).
4) What if our department already has a Service Level Agreement with Facilities? Buildings or departments who have an existing SLA with Facilities Services will not be affected.
5) Is it possible to request a waste bin for my desk? Yes, we offer the option to request desk-side waste bins (no liners) free of charge, however, building occupants will be responsible for sorting desk-side waste into the larger waste receptacles in kitchens. Building occupants will also be responsible for the cleanliness of their own personal desk-side waste bins.
6) What if my desk-side waste bin gets dirty, how do I request to get it cleaned? We encourage building occupants to only dispose dry materials into the desk-side waste bins. Any items that may cause odor or leave a residue should be disposed of in the larger waste receptacles found in the common kitchen area or other designated area.
7) What if I have more questions or concerns about this change? The Custodial Services management team recently hosted two recorded virtual meetings. We have provided the links below to the presentation deck and recorded meetings.
If you or your colleagues have additional questions, or are seeking clarifications of any kind, please feel free to reach out to us. [contact information is provided below]
Please check back soon for more updates! As we continue to strive to create an exceptional environment at UCSF, we thank you for your patience and attention to this change.